Monticello’s Twin Lakes Aktion Club is twelve years old and currently has seventy-five (75) members and growing. We are said to be the largest in Indiana and in the top three in the nation.
Local Kiwanians Bud Weidner, Barb Bedrick & Reg Shireman returned from a Kiwanis International meeting in Florida in 1995 where they saw what a local club was doing with the AKtion Club idea and approached CDC about a partnership to develop a local club. The agency has been delighted with the grass roots, inclusive support that has come from this initial discussion. Many community members assist the Club in its community service activities.
AKTION CLUB 2015-2016 OFFICERS
President: Karen Foster
Vice-President: Stephanie Neeley
Secretary: Darla Young
Treasurer: Theresa Neeley
Sergeant at Arms: David Hardy
Chaplin: Scott Gross
Song Leader: Josh Spangle
Board of Directors: Danny Marx, Twila Lind, Karen Sheffer, Lora Anderson, Brian Simmons, Angela Snowberger
WHAT AKTION CLUB DOES EACH MONTH!
Aktion Club has a dinner meeting the second Thursday of most months at 5:30pm, catered by the Monticello Christian Church at the corner of Airport Rd and Gordon Rd. June meeting is at Indiana Beach (first Tuesday weather permitting), September at IB miniature golf course, and October at the farm. Meetings are held each month with a program.
Bowling is the third Tuesday of each month at the Monticello Bowling Lanes at 3:30pm. Board meetings are held the Wednesday after bowling each month with officers and any member wishing to attend to discuss new programs and activities.
Often transportation can be arranged for those who could not otherwise attend the Club.
The AKTION CLUB gets things done. A typical year includes:
- Sponsors a $500 scholarship to a student going to school to be a special education teacher. We sell peanuts to raise this money.
- Sponsors a tree planted at each new Habitat for Humanity house built in White County.
- Contributes to Habitat for Humanity.
- Contributes to Happy Tails (local no-kill animal shelter) and to Great Cats. (Tiger rescues)
- Contributes to Fire Department fund to supply smoke detectors to children’s homes that can’t afford them.
- Contributes to the police K-9 unit fund.
- We do food drives for the White County Food Pantry.
- Collect pop tabs for Riley Hospital.
- Contribute to wards of the court Christmas gifts.
- Make Valentine bags and deliver to nursing homes in Monticello.
- Make Christmas shoe boxes for underprivileged children in the United States.
- Make care packages for the troops.
- Attend Kiwanis conventions- giving workshops on starting and running an Aktion Club.
- Assist Kiwanis with their fund raisers such as the Pork Chop Supper, selling peanuts, helping with Make A Difference Day and other events.